This weekend, geeks and gamers will be an even more common sight in Birmingham, England than usual, as the GEEK festival moves north from its usual home in Margate, Kent – and this latest event has the theme of Heroes and Villains!
Since 2012 the event has run in the February school half term, inviting people to come and play in the seaside town in the winter. But this time the geeks roadshow – organised by Marine Studios – and its hordes of fans old and new – are expected to rock up early, at the Custard Factory arts and events creative quarter and venue in Gibb Street, Birmingham – in the heart of the ‘second city’.
Retro Gaming and geekery galore in Brum
From Friday 19 – Sunday 21 September, the GEEKS will be bringing you all the best retro video gaming from Replay Events! Classic and modern games will be available to play, alongside quirky games like Punch The Custard. You’ll also be able to chat to indie developers, check out props from blockbuster movies and geek out to your heart’s content. Tickets are on sale NOW – check out the GEEK website for opening hours and advance tickets, and day tickets can also be purchased on the day/night.
- Apart from games galore, there’ll be the Heroes and Villains Zone – Where Batman, Superman and Mario do battle against the Joker, Lex Luthor, Wario and more.
- Transformers – Bumblebee and Barricade will be spotted in and around Birmingham on their way to the Custard Factory (see below).
- Cosplay panels from 1pm and Masquerade from 4pm on Saturday.
- Video Game Carnival – Play the wonderful creations devised and produced by the VGC Ringmaster Himself! – Laser Pong, Giant Game boys, Fruitcade and the brand new Carnival FPS (First Person Scalextric)!
- The Indie Zone – Featuring ‘Tap Happy Sabotage’ from Alistar Aitcheson Games (Friday & Satruday) and many more across the weekend!
And most activities are available over the entire weekend!
The GEEK Birmingham Tournaments list includes: Modern Tournaments
- Fifa 2014 (Xbox)
- Ultra Street Fighter 4 (PS3)
- Under Defeat HD (PS3)
- Trials HD (Xbox)
- Street Fighter 2 Turbo
- Virtua Tennis
- Super Mario Kart
Plus hundreds of playable games over the weekend!
Transformers – robots in disguise!
The Transformers also want to join the fun. Bumblebee and Barricade will be driving through Birmingham on Saturday morning, and will be on display on Gibb Street during the afternoon. Keep your eyes on the Geek Facebook and Twitter for clues on where to find them during the morning!
And if you want to join in the fun, there’s a prize for the best Transformer costume the organisers see!
Potential volunteers for GEEK Birmingham can find a form on the GEEK website. Volunteers will receive a Family ticket to GEEK2015 in Margate and a ticket to Play Expo in Manchester on October 11/12.
Further info including tickets
We’ll be there!
Our randomly roving robot editor, Stuart Williams, will be attending GEEK Birmingham on Saturday, to report on the event for Retrocomputing News. If you see a guy with a grey goatee and a camera, wearing an Atari t-shirt, it’ll probably be him, so be sure to say hello. Watch this space!Thanks to GEEK festival for images and info.